Obtain Your License
Pursuing a career in the Electrical field? Study at home for your Tennessee Electrical license exam with our fully online, user-friendly, and self-paced course.
Tennessee Limited Licensed Electrician (TN LLE)$219.99
This course covers information regarding the National Electrical Code and other material used for your state exam. In this course you will find:
- Highlighting guides
- Practice quizzes
- Math, Calculations and Theory (This includes additional NEC practice, electrical theory, calculations and transformer information)
- Instructor Support
- Test Taking Tips
Requirements To Complete
About This License
This license covers electrical work under $25,000 per job. Those who work in counties having a codes office, which performs their own inspections (such as Davidson, Hamilton, Knox, Shelby, etc.), licensing and testing, the LLE is not accepted.
Requirements to Obtaining Your License
A Limited Licensed Electricians license is required in Tennessee for electrical projects that do not exceed $25,000.
- For electrical projects that exceed $25,000, an Electrical Contractors license is required.
- Please note that the Tennessee Business and Law exam is NOT required to be passed to obtain your LLP as this license does NOT make you a contractor.
Applying For Your License
An application for licensure can be obtained from the Tennessee Board for Licensing Contractors by calling 1-800-544-7693. The licensing and application fee is $250.00.
- The testing company is PSI (1-800-733-9267)
- 40 questions and a 2-hour time limit
- 72.5% is required to pass the exam
- The exam fee is $57.
- Topics on the exam include general knowledge and electrical installation requirements; services, feeders, and branch circuits; overcurrent protection; grounding and bonding; conductors and cables; raceways and boxes; hazardous locations, special occupancies, and special equipment; low voltage, alarms, signaling systems, and communications; lighting, and signs and general use equipment.
Books and References for the Exam
The following references are permitted to be taken into the examination. These references may be tabbed (with a permanent index tab) and highlighted. They are available for purchase from our online contractor’s bookstore or by calling our office at 1-800-952-0910.
- 2017 National Electrical Code (NFPA 70)
- National Electrical Code Handbook
- OSHA Code of Federal Regulations Part 1926
- NFPA 70E – Standard for Electrical Safety in the Workplace
- NFPA 70E - Handbook for Electrical Safety in the Workplace, 2012
- Ugly’s Electrical References
Exam Review Education
We offer review for the electrical exam in an online training format. The course includes highlighting guides, practice tests, theory, calculations, instructor support and test taking tips/strategies. Each time you take a practice test, the questions are randomly generated from our database. Therefore, you will never see the same test twice, guaranteeing you the best review possible for your examination.
There are no requirements for continuing education as of this time.
Tennessee has limited reciprocity agreement with the following states: Alabama, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina and South Carolina.