Obtain Your License
Pursuing a career in the Construction field? Study at home for your Mississippi Construction license exam with our fully online, user-friendly, and self-paced course.
Mississippi Residential Builder Exam Prep$219.99
The Mississippi Exam Review includes the following:
- Highlighting Guides
- Practice Exams
- Math and Plans Analysis
- Study Tips
- Licensing Information
- Instructor Support
*The Business and Law Exam must be passed to become a licensed contractor
Mississippi Residential Builder Examination Materials:
- Roofing Construction & Estimating Revised
- Pipe and Excavation Contracting
- 2018 International Residential Code
- 29 CFR OSHA 1926 Construction Industry Regulations & Standards, January 2023 Edition
- Contractor’s Guide To Quality Concrete Construction
- Modern Masonry, 9th Edition
- Carpentry and Building Construction 16th Edition
- Guide to Handling, Installing, Bracing Wood Trusses – 2018
Mississippi Residential Builder Examination Material Tabs:
- Roofing Construction and Estimating Revised Tabs – 2022 Ed
- Pipe and Excavation Contracting Tabs
- 2018 International Residential Tabs
- OSHA Part 1926 Tabs
- Quality Concrete – Pre-Printed Tabs
- Modern Masonry Tabs
- Carpentry and Building Construction Tabs
- BCSI Wood Truss Tabs
Requirements To Complete
About This License
A residential contractor’s services are limited to construction, remodeling, repair, or improvement of one, two, three, or four family unit residences that do not exceed three stories in height.
Requirements to Obtaining Your License
A Residential Builder’s license is required for projects that exceed $50,000 or more.
- Pass 2 exams Business and Law; Residential Builder.
Applying For Your License
An application for licensure can be obtained from the Mississippi State Board of Contractors by calling 1-800-880-6161. The licensing and application fee is $50.00.
- The testing company is PSI (1-800-733-9267)
- 80 questions and an 3-hour time limit
- 70% is required to pass the exam
- The exam fee is $120 for 1 portion or $240 for two portions of testing.
- Topics on the exam include sitework, footings, and foundation; concrete and concrete reinforcement; masonry; carpentry; roofing; associated trades and drywall; general code, plan reading and estimating; OSHA safety; and licensing.
Books and References for the Exam
The following references are permitted to be taken into the examination. These references may be tabbed (with a permanent index tab) and highlighted. They are available for purchase from our online contractor’s bookstore or by calling our office at 1-800-952-0910.
- 2012 International Residential Code
- OSHA Code of Federal Regulations Part 1926
- Carpentry and Building Construction
- Guide to Good Practice for Wood Trusses
- Contractors Guide to Quality Concrete
- Roofing Construction and Estimating
- Modern Masonry
- Pipe and Excavation Contracting
The following reference is also needed for the residential builder exam. It is available to print online free of charge.
Exam Review Education
We offer an online review for the Mississippi Builder Exam. The online class is $199. During the class, students will highlight each one of the references that they are recommended for the exam. Math and plans analysis is also taught.
Continuing education is only required if you are a residential contractor licensed AFTER July 15, 2015. If you received your license before this date, you are not required to have continuing education (as of this time). We offer this online.
Currently an agreement with South Carolina, Louisiana, Tennessee, Arkansas, and Alabama.