In order to obtain a contractor’s license in the state of Florida, candidates must pass two exams: one in business and finance, and one in their trade. Preparing for these exams can be difficult, but AtHomePrep offers online exam prep, books, continuing education classes, and other resources to help. With several different license types to choose from, AtHomePrep can help you obtain and maintain your Florida Contractors License.
Requirements To Get an HVAC (A&B) Contractor’s License in FloridaAs we mentioned, anyone seeking licensure as a certified contractor in the state of Florida must take and pass state certification examinations. Let’s look at the other requirements.
- Applicants must be at least 18 years old.
- A person will qualify for a certified license by meeting one of the following education/training requirements:
- Four year construction-related degree from an accredited college (equivalent to three years experience) and one year proven experience applicable to the category for which you are applying.
- One year experience as a foreman and not less than three years of credits from accredited college-level courses.
- One year experience as a worker, one year experience as a foreman, and two years of credits from accredited college-level courses.
- Two years experience as a worker, one year experience as a foreman, and one year of credits from accredited college-level courses.
- Four years experience as a worker or foreman,h at least one year must have been as a foreman.
- Military veterans may use their experience gained in the military towards the requirements for licensure. Please complete the Veteran Fee Waiver and Military Service Verification Form and submit it with your application.
- All applicants must submit fingerprints for a background check as part of the licensing process.
- Applicants will need to provide proof of financial stability and responsibility by submitting a personal credit report. Credit reports must include a FICO derived credit score and indicate that local, state and federal records have been searched.
- Applicants are required to attest that they have obtained public liability and property damage insurance in the amounts determined by Board rule. Applicants are also required to obtain workers compensation insurance or obtain an exemption from workers compensation insurance within 30 days of issuance of their license.
- The required fee for licensure must be paid as provided in the application. If applying online, you can pay with a credit card or electronic check. If mailing your application, please include a check payable to the Department of Business and Professional Regulation.
Preparing for Your ExamDid you know that Florida’ Contractor’s exams are open book exams? That means that you are allowed to bring approved resources into the exam with you. It’s true and that’s good news for you! Rather than spending a lot of time and energy memorizing every detail in the text, you can focus on having the right reference books with you and having them marked with tabs to help you find the answers you need on exam day. One of the best ways to prepare for an open book state licensing exam is to take an online exam preparation course. These courses offer a number of benefits, including the ability to study at your own pace and in your own time. AtHomePrep offers two courses for those seeking a Florida HVAC license:
About Florida Air A / Air B Online Home Study CourseIn partnership with The Exam Pros, AtHomePrep offers a fully online, user-friendly, self-paced course. Our Florida Air A / Air B Online Home Study Course is designed by contractors, for contractors. We provide the most effective training available to prepare you for the Florida Air A or Air B Exam. The Florida Air A / Air B Online Home Study Course includes:
- “How to take this course” video
- How to register for the exam(s)
- The 4 segments of test-taking techniques
- List of required reference books* for your exam and when they update
- Highlight & tab locations for the required reference books
- Practice Exams by book to allow you to focus on what you don’t know
- 3 Final Exams
- 1-year access to online course (discounts on extensions)
- Access to an instructor via Phone call, Text message, Whatsapp, Facetime, or email.
Books for The Florida Air A / Air B Online Home Study CourseAtHomePrep also offers a *Florida Air “A” and “B” Contractor License – Books Only Package. This package makes it easy to purchase all of the required books for the Florida HVAC exam in one bundle. If you have any trouble finding the resources you need, call us toll free at 800-952-0910. One of our education specialists will be happy to help you locate everything you need to pass your Florida Air A / Air B exam on the first try.
The Florida Contractor Business Exam ReviewWe’re almost there. In Florida you must pass two exams. The second is the Florida Business and Finance exam. AtHomePrep has you covered for that as well. The Florida Contractor Business Exam Review Online includes highlighting guides for your reference books, practice tests, study tips, and more. After your highlighting is completed with each book, you have the option to take an online practice test to reinforce concepts presented.
References for the Contractor Business ExamThe following references are permitted to be taken into the examination. These references may be tabbed (with a permanent index tab) and highlighted. It is available for purchase from our online contractor’s bookstore or by calling our office at 1-800-952-0910.
- AIA Documents Package, Florida The AIA documents must be bound in order to be used at the test center. This can be done using a ring binder, brads, plastic snap binder, spiral bound notebook, screw posts, or a clear transparent plastic report cover with a slide-on binder bar.
- Builder’s Guide to Accounting This book provides step-by-step, easy-to-follow guidelines for setting up and maintaining records for your building business. It is a practical guide to all accounting methods and shows how to meet state and federal accounting requirements. The new depreciation rules are explained. The book is full of charts, diagrams, simple directions and examples to help you keep track of where your money is going. Each chapter ends with a set of test questions
- Contractors Manual The Florida Contractor’s Manual is a book used to study for the business and finance portion of the Florida state licensing exam. The topics it covers include creating a business plan, obtaining a license, financial management, risk management, labor law, worker’s compensation, safety, construction contracts, construction liens, and project management.
How Access (And Get The Most Out Of) Online Course MaterialAfter you have purchased your online courses and books from AtHomePrep, simply login to access your course study material. Everything you need will be found on your account page. We also have education specialists standing by via chat, phone or email to answer any questions you might have. Here are six tips to help you get the most out of an online exam preparation course:
- Make a study schedule and stick to it. One of the benefits of an online course is that you can study at your own pace. However, it is still important to create a study schedule and stick to it. This will help ensure that you are able to complete the course in a timely manner and retain the information you have learned.
- Take advantage of the resources available to you. Your online exam preparation course provides you with a variety of things to help you prepare for the exam. This includes practice tests, video tutorials, and study guides. Be sure to take advantage of everything available to you in order to maximize your chances of success on the exam.
- Create a study environment that works for you. Everyone learns differently, so it is important to create a study environment that works best for you. If you are someone who prefers to study in silence, then find a quiet place to work. On the other hand, if you learn best by listening to music or watching television while you study, then create an environment that allows you to do those things.
- Don’t wait until the last minute to start studying. One of the biggest mistakes students make is waiting until the last minute to start studying for an exam. This can lead to a lot of unnecessary stress and may even cause you to miss important information. Start studying for the exam as soon as possible so that you can be prepared and have a better chance of success.
- Take practice tests. In addition to taking advantage of the resources available to you, it is also important to take practice tests. This will help you get a feel for the format of the exam and will give you an idea of what to expect on the actual exam. Practice tests are available online and in most bookstores.
- Get plenty of rest and relaxation. Finally, it is important to get plenty of rest and relaxation before taking the exam. This will help you be at your best on test day and will reduce the chances of making mistakes. with your focus and concentration.