Obtain Your License
Pursuing a career in the Construction field? Study at home for your West Virginia Construction license exam with our fully online, user-friendly, and self-paced course.
West Virginia General Building Contractor License – Books Only Package
As of this time we do not offer any courses for this exam. We do offer all the required books for this exam here in one complete package. Individual books can be found in our bookstore. Please be sure to check back in the future for possible course material, as we are always adding to our course catalog.
Requirements To Complete
About This License
“General building contractor” means a person whose principal business is in connection with any structures built, being built or to be built for the support, shelter and enclosure of persons, animals, chattels or movable property of any kind, requiring in the construction the use of more than two contractor classifications, or a person who supervises the whole or any part of such construction. This license includes commercial and residential work.
Requirements to Obtaining Your License
A General Building Contractors License is required in West Virginia when the project exceeds $1,000.
- Anyone seeking to become a contractor in West Virginia is required to sit for two exams, business and law and the trade.
- Proof of workers compensation, tax registration, and employment security coverage is required.
- Licenses are good for one year.
Applying For Your License
- An application for licensure can be obtained from the West Virginia State Fire Marshal Licensing Division by calling 1-304-558-2191.
- The licensing and application fee is $90.
- To schedule your exam, contact ProV at 1-866-720-7768.
- 80 questions and an 3 hour time limit
- 70% is required to pass the exam
- The exam fee is $42.
- Plan reading and estimating, sitework, steel, concrete, masonry, carpentry, roofing, doors, windows and stairs, interior finish, exterior finish, safety.
Books and References for the Exam
The following references are permitted to be taken into the examination. These references may be tabbed (with a permanent index tab) and highlighted. They are available for purchase from our online contractor’s bookstore or by calling our office at 1-800-952-0910.
- 2012 Study Guide for Structural Steel
- Concrete Finishing Level 2
- 2015 International Building Code
- Study Guide for Commercial Carpentry
Exam Review Education
As of this time, we do not offer any review for this exam.
There are no requirements for continuing education as of this time.
Reciprocity is considered on a case by case basis.