Obtain Your License
Pursuing a career in the Mechanical field? Study at home for your Tennessee Mechanical license exam with our fully online, user-friendly, and self-paced course.
Tennessee Application Processing$249.99 – $299.99
@HomePrep Application Processing is here to ensure your application to become a state licensed contractor gets filled out correctly and promptly. We provide a professional service ensuring your privacy and comfort throughout the entire process. Following your purchase of the Tennessee Application Processing our AP Coordinator will contact you to discuss the next steps. If you have any questions please call us at 800-952-0910. We look forward to working with you.
Tennessee Mechanical Contractor License (TN CMC)$219.99
The Tennessee Exam Review includes the following:
- Highlighting Guides
- Practice Exams
- Math and Calculations
- Study Tips
- Licensing Information
- Instructor Support
*The Business and Law Exam must be passed to become a licensed contractor
Requirements To Complete
About This License
This is a broad license that covers HVAC, Refrigeration, Gas Piping, Plumbing, Solar HVAC, Process Piping, Sprinklers and Fire Protection, Insulation of HVAC Systems, Pollution Control, Pneumatic Tube Systems, Pneumatic Temperature Control, Boiler Construction and Repair.
Requirements to Obtaining Your License
A Mechanical Contractors License in Tennessee covers classifications that include plumbing, HVAC, refrigeration, process piping, boilers, gas piping, fire sprinklers, as well as others. This license is required in Tennessee when the project exceeds $25,000.
- Anyone seeking to become a contractor in Tennessee is required to sit for two exams, business and law and the trade.
- To sit for the exam, you must be pre-approved by documenting 3 years of experience.
- Workers Compensation is required
General liability insurance requirements are based on your monetary limit.
- If your monetary limit is up to $500,000, you will need to provide $100,000 coverage.
- If your monetary limit is $500,001 - $1,500,000, you will need to provide $500,000 coverage.
- If your monetary limit is greater than $1,500,000 you will need to provide $1,000,000 coverage.
Applying For Your License
An application for licensure can be obtained from the Tennessee Board for Licensing Contractors by calling 1-800-544-7693. The licensing and application fee is $250.00.
- The testing company is PSI (1-800-733-9267)
- 120 questions and a 325 minute time limit
- 73% is required to pass the exam
- The exam fee is $57.
- Topics on the exam include electrical knowledge, motors, and controls; refrigeration, hydronic, steam and process piping; heating and cooling principles and theory; heating and cooling equipment and components; refrigerants and refrigeration; fuel and LP gas; combustion air, chimney’s, flues, and vents; ducts, ventilation, and exhaust; plumbing; load calculations; safety, fire and smoke protection; and fire sprinklers.
Books and References for the Exam
The following references are permitted to be taken into the examination. These references may be tabbed (with a permanent index tab) and highlighted. They are available for purchase from our online contractor’s bookstore or by calling our office at 1-800-952-0910.
- 2012 International Mechanical Code
- 2012 International Fuel Gas Code
- 2012 International Plumbing Code
- Modern Refrigeration and Air Conditioning
- Ductulator (Trane or ACCA)
- HVAC Duct Construction Standards, Metal and Flexible
- Ugly’s Electrical References
- Carrier System Design Manual Part 3
- OSHA Code of Federal Regulations Part 1926
- Pipefitters Handbook
- Manual N
- Manual J
- NFPA 13 – Installation of Sprinkler Systems
Exam Review Education
Online Training: The program takes you through each one of the reference books that the exam is based on showing you exactly what to highlight. After your highlighting is completed with each book, you have the option take an online practice test to reinforce concepts presented. Also, there is an extensive math and plans analysis portion. The program narrated and animated.
Online Course: $199.99
There are no requirements for continuing education as of this time.
Tennessee has limited reciprocity agreement with the following states: Alabama, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina and South Carolina.