Obtain Your License
Pursuing a career in the Plumbing field? Study at home for your South Carolina Plumbing license exam with our fully online, user-friendly, and self-paced course.
South Carolina Application Processing$249.99
@HomePrep Application Processing is here to ensure your application to become a state licensed contractor gets filled out correctly and promptly. We provide a professional service ensuring your privacy and comfort throughout the entire process. Following your purchase of the South Carolina Application Processing our AP Coordinator will contact you to discuss the next steps. If you have any questions please call us at 800-952-0910. We look forward to working with you.
South Carolina Plumbing Exam Review$219.99
The South Carolina Exam Review includes the following:
- Highlighting Guides
- Practice Exams
- Math and Calculations
- Study Tips
- Licensing Information
- Instructor Support
*The Business and Law Exam must be passed to become a licensed contractor
Requirements To Complete
About This License
This license allows the installation, replacement, alteration, and repair of all plumbing including solar water heating when performed solely within property lines and not on public easements or rights-of-way except to make connections to water meters or sewer taps as allowed by the utility owner; and the installation, alteration, and repair of all piping, fixtures, and appliances related to water supply, including pressure vessels and tanks, and excluding municipal or related water supply systems; venting and sanitary drainage systems for all fluid and semi-fluid and organic wastes; roof leaders; water-conditioning equipment; piping and equipment for swimming pools; and installation of a system of pipes, fittings, fixtures, drains, and all necessary component parts upon the premises or in a building to supply water to buildings and to convey sewage or other waste products from buildings.
Requirements to Obtaining Your License
- Please note that the Business and Law Exam must be passed in addition to the trade exam.
- Residential- Residential Business and Law exam and the Residential Plumber exam.
- Commercial- Commercial Business and Law exam and the Commercial Plumbing exam.
- The following work experience is required:
- Residential- Must show 1 year of experience, in Section "Work Experience" of the application, under the builder or general contractor or Plumber who signed the affidavit.
- Commercial- Must be able to document two (2) years of experience within the last 5 years for the classification(s) of work in which you are applying.
Applying For Your License
Information about applying and required fees can be found below.
- 80 questions and a time limit of 4 hours
- A score of 70% (56 questions correct) is needed to pass.
- Exam fee is $75 per portion
- 65 questions and a time limit of 2 1/2 hours.
- A score of 67.7% (44 questions) is needed to pass.
- Exam fee is $75 for one portion and $90 for two.
- Topics include: ADA Assembly, General Plumbing Knowledge, General Plumbing Regulations, Hangers and Supports, Materials, Joints and Connections, Fixtures and Equipment, Water Heaters, Water Supply and Distribution, Backflow Prevention, Sanitary Drainage Systems, Cleanouts, Indirect and Special Waste, Sanitary Venting, Traps and Interceptors, Storm Piping Systems, Plumbing- Developed Length, DWV Isometric Analysis, Water Supply Isometric Analysis, Roof Drain Isometric Analysis, Pipe Assembly, Valves, General Fuel Knowledge, Natural Gas, LP Gas
- To schedule an examination, contact PSI Examination services at 1-800-733-9267.
Books and References for the Exam
The following references are permitted to be taken into the examination. These references may be tabbed (with a permanent index tab) and highlighted. They are available for purchase from our online contractor’s bookstore or by calling our office at 1-800-952-0910.
- International Fuel Gas Code 2018 or SC Fuel Gas Code 2018
- International Plumbing Code 2018 or SC Plumbing code 2018
- Mathematics for Plumbers & Pipefitters, 8th Edition
- South Carolina 811 Excavator Manual
- International Residential Code 2018 or SC Residential Code 2018
- International Plumbing Code 2018 or SC Plumbing Code 2018
- OSHA Code of Federal Regulations
Exam Review Education
We offer review for the South Carolina Plumbing Contractor Exam in an online training format. The fee for the course is $199.99. The course includes sample figures, questions, math and calculations, isometrics, as well as a highlighting guide for the approved references. For more information, or to order, contact our office at 1-800-952-0910.
There are no requirements for continuing education as of this time.
Residential- Contact SC Residential Builders Commission
Commercial- Contact SC Contractors Licensing Board