Obtain Your License
Pursuing a career in the Construction field? Study at home for your Tennessee Construction license exam with our fully online, user-friendly, and self-paced course.
Tennessee Contractor Exam Prep Live Seminar – Residential Package
- Our live seminars are taught by industry professional with over 30 years’ experience.
- All required books for your exam (based on license type) are included in your bundle along with pre-printed tabs.
- You will also receive an online exam prep course you can access 24/7 up to 1 year from purchase.
- For locations, dates, and times please see below:
Tennessee Contractor Live Seminar (Seminar Only)$529.99
This 2-Day seminar provides everything you need to pass the Tennessee Contractor License Exam, including:
• Highlighting Guides
• Math and Calculations
• Study Tips
• Licensing Information
• Instructor Support
Tennessee Application Processing$249.99 – $299.99
@HomePrep Application Processing is here to ensure your application to become a state licensed contractor gets filled out correctly and promptly. We provide a professional service ensuring your privacy and comfort throughout the entire process. Following your purchase of the Tennessee Application Processing our AP Coordinator will contact you to discuss the next steps. If you have any questions please call us at 800-952-0910. We look forward to working with you.
Tennessee Residential Contractor License$219.99
The Tennessee Residential Contractor Exam Review Online includes:
- Highlighting Guides
- Practice Exams
- Math and Plans Analysis
- Study Tips
- Licensing Information
- Instructor Support
*The Business and Law Exam must be passed to become a licensed contractor
Requirements To Complete
About This License
A residential contractor’s services are limited to construction, remodeling, repair, or improvement of one, two, three, or four family unit residences that do not exceed three stories in height. This license excludes all electrical, HVAC, and plumbing work.
Requirements to Obtaining Your License
A contractors License in Tennessee is required for projects that exceed $25,000.
- Anyone seeking to become a contractor in Tennessee is required to sit for two exams, business and law and the trade.
- Please note that the Limited Licensed Electrician and the Limited Licensed Plumber classifications do NOT require the business and law exam to be passed.
- Workers Compensation is required
General liability insurance requirements are based on your monetary limit.
- If your monetary limit is up to $500,000, you will need to provide $100,000 coverage.
- If your monetary limit is $500,001 - $1,500,000, you will need to provide $500,000 coverage.
- If your monetary limit is greater than $1,500,000 you will need to provide $1,000,000 coverage.
Applying For Your License
An application for licensure can be obtained from the Tennessee Board for Licensing Contractors by calling 1-800-544-7693. The licensing and application fee is $250.00.
- The testing company is PSI (1-800-733-9267)
- 100 questions and an 4 1/2-hour time limit
- 73% is required to pass the exam
- The exam fee is $53 for one portion, $106 fee for two portions.
- Topics on the exam include sitework, footings, and foundation; concrete and concrete reinforcement; masonry; carpentry; metals; roofing; associated trades; general code; plan reading and estimating; and OSHA safety
Books and References for the Exam
The following references are permitted to be taken into the examination. These references may be tabbed (with a permanent index tab) and highlighted. They are available for purchase from our online contractor’s bookstore or by calling our office at 1-800-952-0910.
- 2012 International Residential Code
- OSHA Code of Federal Regulations Part 1926
- Carpentry and Building Construction
- Contractors Guide to Quality Concrete
- Roofing Construction and Estimating
- Gypsum Construction Handbook
- Modern Masonry
- Pipe and Excavation Contracting
Exam Review Education
Online Training: The program takes you through each one of the reference books that the exam is based on showing you exactly what to highlight. After your highlighting is completed with each book, you have the option take an online practice test to reinforce concepts presented. Also, there is an extensive math and plans analysis portion. The program is narrated.
There are no requirements for continuing education as of this time.
Tennessee has limited reciprocity agreement with the following states: Alabama, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina and South Carolina.