What Type of License Do You Need?There are multiple types of contractor licenses in Louisiana that you can apply for depending on your specialty.A mechanical contractor, working on any project exceeding $10,000, needs a commercial license. Many mechanical contractors work with larger companies on their projects to ensure that they meet all of their mechanical needs. This includes heating and cooling systems, refrigeration, piping, and plumbing for buildings. Mechanical contractors typically have degrees in their respective fields, which sets them apart from their residential counterparts, such as plumbers. Both jobs are crucial to building projects, but mechanical contractors may have a wider scope of knowledge when working on commercial jobs.
How to Get A Commercial LicenseThe steps to getting your commercial license in Louisiana are:
- Complete the application from Louisiana State Licensing Board. (you will need to provide several supporting documents)
- Take the state required 6-week Business and Law course
- Once your application is accepted, you will be notified about mandatory examinations
- Take your Business and Law exam (online)
- Schedule your trade exams & pass them with a score of 70% or better