Become A General Contractor In Florida
Pass the Florida General Contractor License exam on the first try. Our best selling online exam prep courses make it easy. Select your course & start today. Want to become a general contractor? Study at home for your Florida Construction license exam with our fully online, user-friendly, and self-paced courses.
Looking for more courses and FAQs?
AtHomePrep has everything you need for exam prep, continuing education, and certification. View all Florida Contractors License courses and FAQs. Or keep scrolling for exam prep courses and more information about becoming a general contractor in Florida.
Florida Contract & Project Administration Exam Prep$274.99
The Florida Contract and Project Administration Exam Review course includes narrated highlighting guides, practice tests, theory, calculations, instructor support and test-taking tips and strategies. Topics include project management, employee relations, financial management, safety, energy conservation, code compliance, materials and techniques and more. @HomePrep is a National Leader in online education. With over 100,000 satisfied students and a course catalog of over 1,000 classes, we are here to help you – Invest in Yourself.
Florida Contractor – Complete Package – 2023
The Florida Contractor full package includes everything needed to prepare for the Contractor Exam in the state of Florida. This package includes ALL of the books that are recommended for both the Contractor (General, Building or Residential) and the Business and Finance Exams in addition to the online course. @ HomePrep is a National Leader in online education. With over 100,000 satisfied students and a course catalog of over 1,000 classes, we are here to help you – Invest in Yourself.
Florida Business & Finance, Contract Administration, and Project Management Exam Prep$399.99
Includes the following 2 courses:
- Florida Business and Finance Exam Review
- Florida Contract/Project Administration Exam Review
Florida Application Processing$249.99 – $349.99
@HomePrep Application Processing is here to ensure your application to become a state licensed contractor gets filled out correctly and promptly. We provide a professional service ensuring your privacy and comfort throughout the entire process. Following your purchase of the Florida Application Processing our AP Coordinator will contact you to discuss the next steps. If you have any questions please call us at 800-952-0910. We look forward to working with you.
Requirements To Complete
About This License
A “general contractor” means a contractor whose services are unlimited as to the type of work which he or she may do.
A general contractor license is a legal requirement for anyone who wants to work as a general contractor. As a general contractor, you’ll be responsible for overseeing construction projects from start to finish, coordinating with subcontractors, and ensuring that all work meets the required standards of quality and safety.
Why You Need a General Contractor License in Florida
In Florida, having a general contractor license isn’t just a nice-to-have — it’s the law. It can also give you a competitive edge by boosting your credibility and allowing you to take on larger, more lucrative projects. Not to mention, it protects consumers and ensures that all construction work is up to code.
Requirements to Obtaining Your License
To become a licensed contractor in Florida, applicants must sit for two exams: business and finance and the trade. Please note that Electrical Contractors will not sit for this examination as their requirements are different. Please view our Florida Electrical Contractor page for more information.
Getting a Florida general contractor license requires meeting several prerequisites. These include being at least 18 years old, having a proven financial stability, and possessing a minimum of four years of relevant construction experience.
- Applicants must document four years of experience. Applicants are also required to provide a credit report and financial statement that is no more than 12 months old. A net worth of $2,500 – $20,000 (depending on classification) is required.
- The minimum general liability insurance that is required for licensure is $300,000 for bodily injury and $50,000 for property damage.
Step-by-Step Guide to Getting a Florida General Contractor License
- Fulfilling Basic Requirements: Make sure you meet all the basic requirements listed above before proceeding to the next step.
- Preparing for the Examination: Study hard for the state examination. There are resources available online and courses you can take to help you prepare.
- Applying for the Examination: Once you feel ready, apply for the examination. The application process involves submitting proof of your experience and financial stability.
- Taking the Examination: Pass the exam to prove your knowledge and competency in general contracting.
- Applying for the License: After passing the exam, you can apply for your Florida general contractor license.
- Maintaining and Renewing the License: Keep your license current by renewing it every two years and completing the required continuing education.
Applying For Your License
Applications can be obtained from the Florida Construction Industry Licensing Board by calling 1-850-487-1395. The application fee when applying for initial licensure:
For Individual Only
- From May 1st of an EVEN YEAR through August 31st of an ODD YEAR is $249.
- From September 1st of an ODD YEAR through April 30th of an EVEN YEAR is $309.
Qualifying a Business
- From May 1st of an EVEN YEAR through August 31st of an ODD YEAR is $308.
- From September 1st of an ODD YEAR through April 30th of an EVEN YEAR is $208.
If you need assistance with the application process, @ Home Prep- a division of Stautzenberger College can help you by saving you time and money. With our years of experience, we can quickly and accurately submit your application to your state.
The examination is divided into two 4 1/2 hour sections with one section in the a.m. and the other in the p.m. A 70% is required to pass. There are 2 fees to take this exam: $135 paid to PTI and $80 paid to DPBR but mailed to PTI. You will be scheduled for the examination date and site that you selected on your application.
Books and References for the Exam
The following references are permitted to be taken into the examination. These references may be tabbed (with a permanent index tab) and highlighted. It is available for purchase from our online contractor’s bookstore or by calling our office at 1-800-952-0910.
- AIA Documents Package, Florida
- OSHA Part 1926
- Contractors Manual
- Energy Efficient Building Construction In Florida
- Guide to Handling, Installing, and Bracing Wood Trusses
- Florida Building Code, 2017
- Florida Accessibility Code, 2017
- Florida Residential Code, 2017
- Florida Existing Building Code 2017
- Florida Energy Conservation Code, 2017
Not allowed into the exam:
- Builder’s Guide to Accounting
- Building Estimator’s Reference Book
- Design and Control of Concrete Mixtures
- Placing Reinforcing Bars
- Principles and Practices of Commercial Construction
- Application and Finishing of Gypsum Panel Products
Exam Review Education
We offer review for the Florida General Contractor Exam through a home study/online course format. The fee for the online class is $249.99 for the Contract/Project Administration exam review ONLY or $399.99 for the full review which includes the Business and Finance review.
The Florida Contractor Exam Review Online includes:
- Highlighting Guides
- Practice Exams
- Math and Plans
- Study Tips
- Licensing Information
- Instructor Support
For more information, or to order, contact our office at 1-800-952-0910.
Each contractor is required to take 14 hours of continuing education during each 2 years prior to the renewal period. We offer this online.
Common Challenges and How to Overcome Them
The process of getting a Florida general contractor license can be challenging, but don’t be discouraged. With proper preparation and determination, you can overcome these challenges. Be sure to study diligently for the exam and seek advice from those who have been through the process.
Ensure You Become A Licensed GC in Florida on Your First Try
Becoming a licensed general contractor in Florida is a significant accomplishment that can open the door to many opportunities. While the process may seem daunting, with the right preparation and resources, you can navigate it successfully.
Are you ready to take the next step in your career as a Florida general contractor? Start your journey to obtaining your Florida general contractor license today! We’re here to support you every step of the way.
Florida has no reciprocity agreements; however, does endorse certain examinations from California, Georgia, and North Carolina for electrical contractors in select categories. The endorsements from Georgia include alarm and specialty categories.